Sunday 9 December 2007

I want to be a tree

Well, not quite.

One of the most difficult things about photographing wildlife in their environment is getting in their environment with them BUT without either them noticing or by effecting their behavour. It is essential not to destress any animal and so camoflage is often the best way to go. You can observe and photograph with greater ease and in a way far better for the subject.

Now, there are many types of camoflage and other ways of achieving this. Your main purpose is to break up the edges of your figure that you can not be so easily distinguished from your surrounding. Hunters have known this for years which means that unfortunately you have to frequent some of their shops sometimes to equip yourself.

I will say that this point that I recently became a vegetarian. After spending so much time trying to understand the other species that inhabit our planet I feel that I can't justify harming them any longer. When you really begin to study the lives of any living creature you begin to see life in itself in new ways.

I am also refraining from buying non-ethical products wherever possible (which is a bit of a problem when some of the best photographic equipment is produced by countries with very bad ethical reputations when it comes to our fellow man let alone animals).

I would also like to say though, that I do not condemn all hunting. Where it is a requirement of survival and there is no alternative to sustain human life then I can accept it but it should be done in a way that causes the minimum amount of suffering. Native Americans understood this. Although they hunted and killed many wild animals every part was utilised and they only took what they needed. They show use the right way to manage the earth. Unfortunately the white settlers did everything for profit and pushed many species to extinction while littering the ground with rotting carcusses that did no more than spread disease.

Anyway, back to the camoflage. I looked at the army style but it made me look very silly - whatever you choose you know it's not going to be the most flattering thing but really....well I just looked like some bad wanabee commando actionman or something. In the end I went for a realtree type jacket, trousers and gloves. I can't quite get to the point of camo balaclavers yet but who knows? At the moment I'm going for the moss green hat.

Now here I want to make a point for the manufacturers - WHY DON'T YOU MAKE ANYTHING FOR WOMEN!!!!!?

I do not for one minute believe that I am the only women in the world who needs camo! I know for a fact that there are women hunters all over the United States (where most of this clothing originates) for starters. It's like stepping back 10 years into the outdoors market when all the decent stuff was mens and women were only supposed to go up small hills in summer. This is the 21st century! Get real, please.

I did however find one thing out. If you are a size 10, 5ft 4" female or thereabouts you can get into the childrens clothes (they make clothes for kids but not women?!). As it happens I am (according to the makers of my camo gear) the size of the ideal Age 14 male. I would suggest that a size 12 may just get into the Age 14 jacket too (depending on what you want to put underneath). I like a little room for added quilting or fleece (and sometimes both) as it gets very very cold in may of my most favoured locations.

A size 8 women would probably find an Age 12 fits fine. But, if you are any taller than about 5ft 5" then the trousers at any size will be too short. This won't be a problem if you like wellies or long boots and tuck them in, or use gaters a lot.

I am a little chunky around the middle (scar tissue and my winter padding....lol) so I would say a 12 might get away with the Age 14 trousers too - but I would try them on as I have yet to find two size 10s with the same measurements all over (not counting twins).

My biggest problem is gloves. Most stockists only carry adult medium and large. The adult medium gloves are big and even with a liner glove on I won't want to handle my camera and make setting changes much as there is far too much room in all the fingers.

As a waterproof outer with a grippy liner glove the medium is just about ok for me. I would have liked a better fit but I have spent over a month looking for a glove that actually fits snuggly enough and given up. If the hand is right then the thumb is either too short or too long. On the rare occassion the thumb and hand were fine the fingers were either too long (most often) or they were too flappy and I couldn't get a grip. I tried childrens which again fitted but they don't make ones for kids with adequate insulation for me. 40g of thinsulate is NOT enough.

I really really like Permaloft lined gloves although they are more expensive but couldn't get the right fit. I need a small finger and medium hand in the ladies and the mens are just too big all round.

Another advantage of buying from the childrens ranges is that you don't pay VAT. This means my childrens jacket was around £45, the trousers £31. The adult version of exactly the same jacket (with the same design, features, and fabrics etc) was over 3x that!

Dearest hubby, who likes to come on some of my trips (and carries the tripod - thanks MARK!) will have to pay well over £250 for the same outfit that cost me under £100. What is that all about?

Cheaper versions are available on ebay etc and we may try and get him kitted out that way. Especially if you can order from the US at the moment. Although you need to allow for tax and duty etc, the £ against the $ at the moment still makes this an attractive method.

Of course, when I head off for the US to photograph wolves in 2010 I shall be taking an almost empty suitcase out there - just for the shopping. Even at normal rates of exchange we in Britian are still being ripped off. If something costs $140 it should not cost £140 as the £and $ have never had a 1:1 as far as I can remember. This means that we are constantly paying well over the odds.

While I'm having a rant about this I'll prove the point: I went to Canada and the US for New Year about 8 years ago. At the time I lived about 4 miles from the Terra Nova (best tents in the world...probably) factory. To buy the tent I wanted in Sheffield (about 12 miles north) was £399. Now this tent has travelled 12 miles...... In Toronto the same tent was 295 Canadian$. Which was about £220 at the time including taxes.

Therefore my tent travelled from Sheffield(ish) to Toronto, was bought by me and shipped back to Sheffield(ish) for around £150 less than if I can bought it from its origin. Now, does that make any sense? Not exactly good for the environment was it? Even allowing for shipping and tax its cheaper to order a Terra Nova tent from Canada that it is from a retailer within walking distance of the manufacturer.

Well, enough of my muses for this morning. It's raining heavily as it has been all night, my dolphin trip has been cancelled again and I am not sure what I am going to be able to photograph today but I am going to try an get out somewhere.

Take care everyone,

Jan

No comments: