Monday 24 December 2007

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Well, it's Christmas Eve and I'd thought I'd update the BLOG before settling down for the evening with NORAD tracks santa (well, its better than the rubbish on the TV).

I got the new lens (see last entry) and I am quite impressed. The slower aperture does cause a few problems but I think that a lot could be accomplished with practised technique. I haven't used a lens of this sort of the length for a while and so I need to get back into the swing of things.

The shots obtained on the brief trial run were certainly impressive as far as image quality goes. The clarity was as hoped and the colour rendition pretty good too. There was very little fringing which I had expected at the 500mm end and I was pretty impressed with the sharpness even at f6.3 and I think that using it at f8 or f11 would really give that added punch although I got more than I was expecting.

The build quality is excellent as you would expect from a pro quality lens. The downsides? well, there aren't a lot of 86mm filters about and they certainly aren't cheap. I would like a Sigma EX DG one but at over £75 that's going to have to wait a wee while. I have ordered a Japanese high quality UV for now to protect the front element and of course insured the lens.

I hope to be able to get out and get some interesting shots of the seals at Portgordon over Christmas and also perhaps of some of the birds of prey seen close to the house.

I have various engagements towards the end of the week and again in the next week but then hope to be able to spend some serious time in January perfecting my techniques with this lens, and familiarising myself with it so that its use becomes second nature like the rest of my equipment.

Keep an eye on my website www.jancrane.co.uk for new images over the coming weeks.

Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

Jan

No comments: